Ark's opinion on equipment and crafting in light of the ability update

2 posters

Go down

Ark's opinion on equipment and crafting in light of the ability update Empty Ark's opinion on equipment and crafting in light of the ability update

Post by Ark Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:43 am

While this idea is nice, it doesn't solve the balance issue we have right now. Here's my suggestion:
- Remove all unique boosts.*
- Give every non-weapon item of each equipment slot equal roll stats. I can roll the same stats on a Bone Body as I can on a Metal Body or Wood Body.
- Give a powerful set-bonus for each combination. With 4 equipment slots and 3 item types per slot that gives us 3^4=81 possible combinations.

The advantage is that we only have to worry about balancing 81 elements now. And those elements give us the specializations we need.
It is important to use multipliers so that priority to specific boost builds is given to reduce or even eliminate exploitation via unintended boost combinations. For example, no set-bonus should give +10% Range Dmg, but x0.1 Range Dmg With Boosts Included. So my Range Dmg boost doesn't increase by 10%, but the base Range Dmg, increased by the boost, is then multiplied by the set-bonus.

As for weapons: I would suggest equal boosts as well. Because once we give each weapon a different set of possible boosts, we'll have a lot more scenarios than just 81 to worry about. It can easily go up to 81*9=729 combinations. The 9 is picked for the amount of weapon types we currently have.
The element factors can stay like they are now. They are multipliers applied after boosts and set-bonuses are applied. The result is a specialization towards one or two element types. But I really think we should have a 'Heal' or 'Utility' element factor, too. So I can for example use a staff with x1.5 heal x1.25 utility to assist my party in Boss Battle. Or make such its own weapon type.

* And refund players 300 appropiate materials or 100 gems for each unique, for example Special Metal gives 300 metal. Why 300? On average I spent 1000 materials for each unique. But there's also plenty of uniques I looted. A fair amount would be 500, but 300 would be the safe amount to go with.

Quick Notes:
As for imbues, remove them. Think of a different reward for dungeons. Currently, once you have every imbue type, all it does is inflating the value of boosts.

Level-Scaling should be strict in PVP. There it should be equipment vs equipment only.

Crafting should not have price-dependency on level. Prices should be independent of level. That way, having higher level is rewarded by obtaining more resources for faster crafting.
PVE should not have strict level-scaling, so that a certain OP-ness allows faster farming. Alternatively, certain dungeon difficulties have a minimum level requirement and yield greater resources as reward.

Boost maxima should not increase with level. Instead they should never reach perfection (100% of maximum), meaning that for example at 99,99% of the maximum the maximal increase of one roll is less than half of the remainder. The result is a money-sink for equipment perfection, a good counter against resource inflation.

Last edited by Ark on Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ark
Ark

Back to top Go down

Ark's opinion on equipment and crafting in light of the ability update Empty Re: Ark's opinion on equipment and crafting in light of the ability update

Post by chuy89 Fri Aug 19, 2016 2:15 pm

Ark wrote:Quick Notes:
As for imbues, remove them. Think of a different reward for dungeons. Currently, once you have every imbue type, all it does is inflating the value of boosts.

Level-Scaling should be strict in PVP. There it should be equipment vs equipment only.

Crafting should not have price-dependency on level. Prices should be independent of level. That way, having higher level is rewarded by obtaining more resources for faster crafting. PVE should not have strict level-scaling, so that a certain OP-ness allows faster farming.

Boost maxima should not increase with level. Instead they should never reach perfection (100% of maximum), meaning that for example at 99,99% of the maximum the maximal increase of one roll is less than half of the remainder. The result is a money-sink for equipment perfection, a good counter against resource inflation.

I do think level-scaling should be strict for pvp if it's only for fun skillful battles like now. But in the future if pvp wars or anything competitive like pvp maps or something comes out then it can be small percentage boost per level like equipment * .0[level]. for ex: if level 23 then * .023. (Or a similar type calculation to add a small but useful boost). If pvp is based solely on equipment, I would be done upon getting gold equipment and rolling boosts I want. No need for any more pve or grind. I think if giving small boosts based on level would keep competitive players a lot of motivation for pve, task grinding, partying, etc. It would give an advantage but not enough to defeat people with a complete counter build and good skill unless the person was like 20 lvls lower. This is just from my perspective; It would take a lot of motivation away.

For crafting, while I did like to choose between using so many level orbs to roll a low lvl unique or try to roll a high lvl gear with more resources, I realized how incredibly hard it was to roll a unique with high lvl gear. However, chances to get other boosts aren't that bad if not unique.

I like your idea of boost maxima because as of now, I am not bothering with increasing boost value until i reach as high lvl as i want to be so i make best use of my resources.
chuy89
chuy89

Back to top Go down

Ark's opinion on equipment and crafting in light of the ability update Empty Re: Ark's opinion on equipment and crafting in light of the ability update

Post by Ark Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:31 pm

chuy89 wrote:I do think level-scaling should be strict for pvp if it's only for fun skillful battles like now. But in the future if pvp wars or anything competitive like pvp maps or something comes out then it can be small percentage boost per level like equipment * .0[level]. for ex: if level 23 then * .023. (Or a similar type calculation to add a small but useful boost). If pvp is based solely on equipment, I would be done upon getting gold equipment and rolling boosts I want. No need for any more pve or grind. I think if giving small boosts based on level would keep competitive players a lot of motivation for pve, task grinding, partying, etc. It would give an advantage but not enough to defeat people with a complete counter build and good skill unless the person was like 20 lvls lower. This is just from my perspective; It would take a lot of motivation away.
That's why I suggested never reaching perfection. It will be a race to the highest roll that is only approachable at most. In this scenario, you are wrong in stating that you will be done if you get gold and boosts you want, because you have to put in literally infinite supplies to get the max boost, ergo the boost you want.
There is a point though, where the approachment is so negigibly small that skill far outweighs the extra benefit and even the game isn't made for such accuracy (lag will get in way). Therefore the approach must be slow and expensive enough, that there's always reason to improve. But most of the players should be crazy enough to invest in negigible differences, including me, because it still is progress after all.
Ark
Ark

Back to top Go down

Post by chuy89 Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:55 pm

What do you think about boosting boost values by.01 (where 1.00 is Max) with either a flat amount of high resources or resource requirement start low but exponentially increase per boost?  That way level wouldn't matter, but gear would. If everything is based on rolls, it would suck if a new person got .99 % or whatever the highest roll is vs a person who spent months trying to get that high. There has to be more reward for time spent playing, at least I think.

Also, if a player wanted to re-roll their boost, they can re-roll that specific boost slot but keep the values they worked hard to boost.

To undo the effort of all the task rewards we used for leveling up, a calculation can be made to convert experience attained to resources.

Last edited by chuy89 on Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
chuy89
chuy89

Back to top Go down

Post by Ark Fri Aug 19, 2016 6:25 pm

chuy89 wrote:What do you think about boosting boost values by.01 (where 1.00 is Max) with either a flat amount of high resources or resource requirement start low but exponentially increase per boost?  That way level wouldn't matter, but gear would. If everything is based on rolls, it would suck if a new person got .99 % or whatever the highest roll is vs a person who spent months trying to get that high. There has to be more reward for time spent playing, at least I think.
It's what I'm suggesting. Except price stays same but maximum increment decreases, causing total maximum to never be reached.

chuy89 wrote:Also, if a player wanted to re-roll their boost, they can re-roll that specific boost slot but keep the values they worked hard to boost.
In my opinion there should be nothing random about incrementing(=stat- or wildcard-orb reroll) or at least a solid x% chance independent of current boost value. The money-sink will not be RNG but the never-reaching of the total maximum.

chuy89 wrote:To compensate current level to gear boost values, a calculation can be made to convert experience attained to resources.
I'm too tired to think about this now. As cleared up in chat: You suggest what can be done if we were to undo the efforts already invested in crafting. Not gonna reply to that now with the mental state of a midnighter.
Ark
Ark

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down